Thursday, May 8, 2014

Confessions of a Lost Artist.....

 
I guess I've always been artistic..... When I was a child I always had crayons, colored pencils and paper with me....  It's always kind of been my escape...or my refuge....However you want to say it....  I lost a lot of that by the time that I got to high school because I worked.... I was creative in other ways.... dying my hair....playing with make-up....etc., but drawing has always been my home....So.... I decided that I would study and get my degree in art when I went off to college...
 
I studied art history, the philosophy of art, painting, drawing, sculpture, ceramics, printmaking along with the prerequisites such as: psychology, sociology, chemistry, history, etc.... and I went through a lot of changes in college, but the biggest proof of it all is the art that I made while I was there for 6 years.....
 
I learned how to have a voice for all of the things that I wanted to say....
 
I finally had a senior thesis show which showcased what I wanted to talk about.... it was sociologically relevant, politically, referenced history and my love for what I was doing all at once and in a lot of different mediums......
 
I received lots of great reviews of it.... even after I graduated....
I got to show at a local museum....
 
Had an article written about my work and where I wanted to go with it from there.....
 
I couldn't figure out what to do next.... so I painted a wall....
 
Next, I figured if I couldn't top that show.... then I would create something new with the pieces....
I deconstructed the fabrics into clutches, messenger bags and scarves.... turned the other pieces into home décor pieces..... Art that people could wear and carry with them rather than just hang on a wall and forget about..... It was all well received....
 
I joined local artist groups and met a lot of people that were creating and began doing local artist events and meeting some really amazing people, selling art pieces, donating pieces to causes, co-ops, and building a good reputation in the community,  but after a while that became stagnant for me...it begin to feel counterproductive... and more hassle than what it was worth....
 
But out of that I've made some Amazing friends.....
 
I've collaborated by doing make-up for photo shoots with these amazing ladies... and we're still have more in the works..... and I can't wait to see what's coming up for us next....
 
 





















 
Here is the link to see my bags and scarves:
 
 
 
Mural:
 
 
Art Events:
 
 
 
 
Photoshoot (JenX Photography... Hair: Charlene Maldonado Makeup: Me)
 








 
 I've made pieces since then... commissions.... a messenger bag... and dining room set....
 










































 
Since all of these.... I've gone back to school for Esthetics....kind of ironic... I studied Esthetics as a philosophy in college and now I'm studying Esthetics as a profession....
 
I've felt lost over the past 4 months because I haven't really had that place.... that sanctuary that drawing, painting, printing and even make-up gives me.... I've been so busy with school, work and school and work and school and work....only a little bit of sleep... and the loop goes on....
 
Can I truly have it all?....
 
I haven't drawn since December.... Haven't painted since April of last year.... Haven't sewn since December.... Haven't created anything of substance from myself, for myself....
 
It's time for a "New Beginning"....
 
 
 
My Passion is missing... and I want it Back.....
 
Heather
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment