Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Building a Pro Kit.....on a Budget...

 
 
 
 
Makeup Artistry, like any artform, requires special tools and products......
 
Building a pro-kit is not cheap, but it can be done on a budget.....
 
I've built one before when I first started doing makeup on clients last year, but now I'm starting over and it's that time again....
 
Tips:
*Research every product....Not all brushes are equal, not all brands are going to give you the same desired effect( Bridal, Special Events, HD, etc.), Sanitation products for all products are important and skincare that suits a lot of different skin types. It's crucial for you to be knowledgeable and make educated decisions vs. "This looks cool, I'll get it!"  (Sometimes this works out, but you waste a lot of money when it doesn't)
 
*Value Sets: These help you to get a lot of products at once, help you try many types of products and who doesn't love a good value..... Most companies have these types of sets....You can find them at Ulta, Sephora, and the Brand Sites themselves....
 
*Palettes vs. Singles:  Palettes are my favorite way to get more bang for my buck.... Palettes are better for travel because the packaging allows for better storage... Singles take up so much space, they are more likely to break when traveling vs. most palettes...
 
Examples: *Urban Decay Naked Palettes: Basic (has many of the matte colors you will need), 1,2,and 3 are perfect because they are versatile.
*BH Cosmetics has great deals on eyeshadow palettes, blush palettes, and even foundation palettes
*Coastal Scents, like BH Cosmetics, has similar products that are affordable and the pigment payoff is awesome.
 
*BOGO deals:  I've gotten great deals on my brushes this way.... Nice brushes can be expensive, but BOGO deals really help me out when building my kit....
Example:  Real Techniques Brushes come in singles or you can buy the starter sets.... Ulta is really great about having BOGO's that include the sets so you can save up to $20 or more...
 * You can also get great makeup products this way: Ulta, CVS, Walgreens.
 
 
*Utilize local beauty stores: I get the best deals on lashes for my kit this way.  Unlike the bigger stores like Sally's, CVS, Walgreens and Rite Aid the selection for lashes can be somewhat limited.  I recently shopped at a local store and got great deals on 100% human hair lashes, both strips and individuals.  They also tend to keep specialty lashes like the Kiss Lash Dress( seen in the pic) on hand.
 
*Check the Clearance:  Beauty stores always have a clearance section.  Certain styles of lashes go out of season (Halloween) or Collections get discontinued or Makeup gets Repackaged.   I recently went to Sally's and found the Cirque de Soleil Collection on sale for less than $2 and I know they are extreme, but to have on hand for conceptual makeups they are awesome.
 
 

 
*Outlet Stores: TJ Maxx is one of those stores that I tend to have decent luck finding tools.  I've found so many great brands of brushes, beauty blenders there and sometimes you'll find eyeshadow palettes from brands like E.L.F. that are great for practice.
 
 
 *Disposable: For sanitary purposes for your kit you will need disposable lip wands, sponges, mascara wands and the like....
 
And after the Adventures to find all of the basic pieces to your kit....
 
 
You'll have set up tables that look like this....
 
I hope these tips are helpful to you...
 
Heather
 

No comments:

Post a Comment